Thursday, February 20, 2014

Proposal Phase

This blog will be following my process to produce my Master's Capstone project at Elon University. My initial reasoning for a site like this was because this is what I would have wanted when I first came back to the States after being gone for 2.5 years. There is a readjustment period that no one can understand unless they've been through something similar. I want to connect RPCVs across the state and have them represented on the site for a network for themselves as well for recently returned volunteers and ones that are just beginning their journeys.

What I propose: I am proposing one website optimized for a North Carolina Peace Corps Association network. Although this will be for a client, I will not directly be working with the client during the design process.  The site will be loaded with information for recently returned Peace Corps Volunteers on readjusting back to America after their service, as well as information for Volunteers beginning their process as a tool to reach out to Returned Peace Corps Volunteers in the area.


The site will be design heavy with infographics featuring different RPCVs and their stories during their service (which will in turn provide information for volunteers beginning their journey) as well as motion graphic videos describing the stages of culture shock before and after your service. The main purpose of the site will be for the North Carolina Peace Corps Association, but will mainly be utilized as a resource tool for PCVs.

The audience includes trainees from North Carolina and Returned Peace Corps Volunteers in North Carolina.  These two niche groups are small and the site will work as a functioning site for the NCPCA as well as providing resources for new volunteers.  While the site will serve as a non-profit website for the members and RPCVs of NCPCA it will also serve as a source of information.

Since the site will be through the NCPCA that is already established as a branch of the national association, there will be no potential copyright issues.  A potential issue could arise when trying to merge RPCVs from the Greensboro chapter and the Raleigh chapter, however, I don’t see this as a hindering issue.

The costs of this project will come from the domain-hosting price and the travel to retrieve photos, etc. I will also be attending NCPCA meetings to further my connections with in this group for this project and for personal purposes.
           
This project will enhance my portfolio by being a strong web and design example of my skills set. I will create this as a functional site for the NCPCA, as well as promote a stronger network between Returned Peace Corps Volunteers. The infographics and motion graphic videos within the website will represent various RPCVs and coping strategies for any culture shock or reverse culture shock, depending on which stage of the Peace Corps process the Volunteer is in. This site will also be a tribute to the third goal of the Peace Corps, which is to help Americans understand the people and cultures of other countries and to promote worldwide friendship. 

 ---------------

I have gone through multiple revisions of my proposal and also itemized a timeline for the remainder of my project, including four stages: proposal, pre-production, production and post-production. I have made contacts with RPCVs around the state and have have already gotten some volunteers for the infographic section of the site. I will take my peer-reviews into consideration when moving forward with my production and am leaning more towards coding the entire site instead of using a Wordpress theme. This will add another element to my project and will feature another skill in my portfolio. I believe this project will benefit RPCVs in the future with information as well as a network of other RPCVs around them.

I will adjust my final proposal based on feedback from my peers and professor Motley. My idea has evolved from being just a redesign of NCPCA's website to a network and spotlight for RPCVs in North Carolina in hopes to connect them from city to city and provide a place for recent RPCVs to meet others in North Carolina. I believe that this will be the best method for this project and will make this project better than I thought before. It will heavily rely on my design skills and coding knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment